• Have you ever thought of putting out an art book of just your doodles and sketches from your various sketchbooks? I don’t know how interested people would be but I know personally I’d be super interested! I love seeing artist’s doodles and sketches and brainstorming! I think one can learn about an artist creative process from it.
I feel you so hardddd! I love sketchbook books!!!! Personally, I don’t feel like I have enough content to make a book, but it is on my bucket list. ^ o^
• Would you consider doing a doodle version of pen pal?
Not right now, but it sounds like fun for the summertime~
• i’m trying to get myself to draw more but i get lazy and i need to stop being lazy so i can get better at drawing. so what motivates you to draw all the time??
HAAAAA. I wish I could draw all the time, but sometimes I get lazy or I am really slow to start. It just takes discipline (which I am still struggling at). Or when I get bored and I start making really tiny doodles.
Draw things you like, or make a list of things you want to draw. I find that the reason I hesitate to draw sometimes is because I am afraid to make bad art. But getting better at art is all about confidence and experimentation. Simple advice: just draw–even if it is a scribble.
• did you have any anxious thoughts that going to school would be a waste of money, or that you might not have the spark compared to those who you will be competing against? I see you mention a few times how you are scared for your future and i’m in the exact position, so it’s okay if you have no advice, but i just was wondering what advice you give to yourself or what reassurance you have to offer if any? Like…I just want to follow my policy for that it’s better spend your time and future on a job you enjoy rather than having a job and spending your time in something you dislike. I love everything about cartoons/stories/art/illustration and if i love it so much i feel like i should just DO IT. but it just seems so unlikely i would succeed. and maybe,idk if you even do this,but i could get together and scan some of my drawings and stuff and you can judge my art and see where i stand with this stuff…if that makes any sense? lol i’m sorry this probably sounds super whiny and crap
When I was looking at schools, I was definitely anxious, but I saw it as an opportunity to grow and experience new things. I did not think of it as a waste of money nor was I already thinking about competition, because learning art is not based around competition against other people.
To be honest, the only advice I have right now, for you and myself, is to keep making art. Because that’s what I love to do! And I want to make it work. Success does not happen overnight–it’s a long journey of self discipline and hard work (which I am still struggling to do).
As for art critiques and such… I am pretty busy with my last semester of college and can not dedicate time to it. I advise you to join an art forum and seek others for critiques! Because many perspectives is always better than one.
Also, don’t feel bad for feeling whiny or insecure. We all go through it one way or another! It’s a part of life, and learning to be productive through it is very important. ^-^
• Was ‘rosewong’ always your url or did you change it to your name once you started posting your art?
My username has always been the same~ At the beginning, I saw this blog as a visual diary and I didn’t feel compelled to create a whole new identity ha.
• I think you were using a site to host your portfolio before, I can’t remember what it was called. could you post a link to it? :)
seeing your lovely little drawings and such always make me want to push myself to draw more often, i like your style a lot and if i could even come close to being able to doodle things like you do then i think i'd find it so much easier to get myself to spend more time with pen and paper... keep doing what you do, you are great at even the smallest of creations :')
oohhh that sketchbook looks so nice and huge? is that a moleskine? btw, what brand is that lightbox?
Yes! It is an A4 size Moleskine Sketchbook. And the lightbox is Artograph!
how do you find these interesting projects to do with other artists? Do they ask you or do you seek them out? I think it’s so great for you to participate in magazines/kickstarters projects. I would love to do something like that but I don’t know where to start!
Sometimes I get an email, but most of the time I see postings on Tumblr! Follow artists because they will sometimes create or be a part of collaborative projects!
Hello! How many followers & following do you have? Plus how long did it take you to get your tumblr recognised and how did you go about doing it? Im an illustrator in need of advise, thank you!
I currently have a little over 20,000 ~*~*~fronds~*~*~ But I guess took me around 4 years to get recognized? And all I did was post my art and works in progress. This blog used to be my inspiration blog, but then I started following all these awesome artists! They inspired me to start posting my work. It’s really nice to see a response for my work but having a bunch of followers does not really mean anything! Just make work and throw it out into the interweb! Someone is bound to see and adore it~
hi! I adore your beautiful drawings and you’re a big inspiration to me! :) I’m a junior in high school and I’ve been thinking about college a lot. so far, after a visit and review, pratt seems awesome! I like how it has a campus in Brooklyn. how do you like it there? any cool quirks about it? also, any tips on choosing the school that fits? I’m interested in illustration. Thank you so much for your time!! ^-^
I love Pratt! The campus is small but beautiful :) Art schools always have quirks, come and find out hehe. Visiting the school usually helps you choose! You can quickly tell if it’s the right environment for you or not.
Hi, just found your blog and super amazed by it. Do you have a video about your picture’s making process? I would love to see one. Excuse my english tho. Keep inspiring!!
Thanks! I do have a video, but it is was my first and blurrrry haha. But I would love to make another once I have more time~
congratulations on the moleskine! where can I buy it from? is it purchasable to general public?
Thanks! Unfortunately I think it is only used for Adobe + Moleskine promotions.
Just found your blog wow your work is amazing. Just wondering on tips for coming up with themes/ideas for artwork to be about. Have to start my folio and picking a central idea is so difficult!
Just draw things you like! Simple but effective~~ Watch movies, listen to music, take a walk! Go to a museum/show! Surround yourself with inspiration!
be my mentor! the way you color things is incredible. any tips for digital coloring? thanks rose!
Layers are your best friend! Use color/palette swatches :) Play around! I am not an expert because I am always still experimenting! So you should too!
I’m sorry if this seems like a rude or shallow question, but how did you get so much exposure through tumblr? I’m trying to get my name out there, but to not much success. Any tips or advice on how to do so?
Tumblr is a great resource for getting you art spread around the internet and to be honest, there is no shortcut on getting ‘exposed.’ Just post, submit to popular art blogs and tag your work~ You will never know what piece will get chosen by an editor. IT’s a MysTeRy! Definitely check out the Illustration and Art tag editors though~
i know this must be a boring question, but I scoured your FAQ and found nothing! what pencil is that one that features in all your photos of your sketchbook? the whitish clearish one? i am looking for a new mechanical pencil, I cannot find one that is as smooth as my graphite pencils (but i don’t want to sharpen them all the time). regular cheap mech pencils are so thin and sharp on the paper.
It’s a MUJI mechanical pencil! And smoothness is all about your lead and application~ I use 2B lead and I got it from Utrecht.
Not to be creepy or anything,but I’ve got your same last name!
What do you know about PrattMWP?
Not much. But I do know that you don’t live/study in the Brooklyn campus and then you eventually transfer here?
The eight new additions to Sacrilege have been chosen! It wasn’t easy, again you all sent in about 120 portfolios and picking only eight was extremely hard. I won’t be able to send everyone who sent in a portfolio a personal e-mail about why or why not they were included, but I will say again the…
AHYEAH! I am sooooo pumped to be a part of this! *dance prance*